Saturday, October 26, 2013

Sunday Muffins: Coffee Cake Muffins

Happy Weekend!

This morning has been a lazy one - not getting out of bed until 10:30, staying in pajamas, drinking coffee, and making muffins. In a previous post I wrote about how I love the weekends because it gives me time to enjoy breakfast [my favorite meal] and sometimes I even bake something. Welllll I made a goal for myself. I want to try to bake at least one thing every Saturday [or Sunday]. This feature will be called Sunday Muffins (I know, I know this time it was on a Saturday). Anyway, today we decided to make coffee cake muffins. I found a basic recipe here and changed it a little bit.
Coffee Cake Muffins (Makes 12)
Streusel Topping
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. AP flour
Pinch salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 stick butter

Muffins
1 stick butter
1 3/4 c. AP flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
6 oz. plain yogurt
2 oz. milk
1 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350˚ F.

For the streusel: Mix brown sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together. Cut in the butter and mix with a fork or clean hands (using your hands is easier) until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Let sit out the counter until you are ready to use it.

For the muffins: In an electric mixer beat butter, yogurt, milk, sugar, and vanilla together until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix until just combined and almost smooth.
Spoon a small layer of muffin batter into the bottom of the each hole in a paper-lined muffin tin [using about half of the batter]. Then sprinkle a layer of the streusel. Cover that with another layer of the muffin batter [finishing it off] and another layer of the streusel. Bake for ~20 minutes or until golden brown and a knife inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean. 
 Bake for ~20 minutes or until golden brown and a knife inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean. 

xx -c

No comments:

Post a Comment