Sunday, October 27, 2013

Plating: Week 1

Hello-

I hope everyone had a great weekend, mine was very relaxing and went by a little too quickly. In a previous post I mentioned that we started plating in school this past week and I thought I would show you my plates from our last four days of chicken. Plating is a lot harder than I thought it would be, you have to think about different colors, themes, shapes, heights, garnishes, and many other aspects of the dish to produce a beautiful plate. It seems that everyone has their own rules for what produces a beautiful plate, here are a few that we have learned so far:
         
          1: You want to add some height to your dish. It adds a different, more exciting dynamic to the dish. 
          2: We have been using round plates which is more conducive to a tight, centered look compared to using a rectangular plate. 
          3: You want to minimize the amount of negative space between the different types of food, this makes the dish look more clean and organized.
          4: Use edible garnishes; avoid overly potent foods such as rosemary. 
          5: Keep the rim of the plate clean and allow for ~1 inch of space between the food and the rim around the whole plate.  

Chicken Fricassee with sautéed green beans and Arancini (fried risotto balls stuffed with cheese)
Pan-seared chicken with roasted butternut squash, fresh apple-walnut ravioli and brown butter sauce.  // this was my favorite plate that I produced last week. 
Yakitori chicken with shittake-asparagus stir-fry and rice.
Chicken cordon bleu with roasted fingerlings, sautéed summer squash and béchamel sauce. 
Tomorrow starts the beginning of pork week. I am pretty nervous about this since I normally stay away from most pork products (other than bacon). I'm not exactly sure why, maybe because I grew up in a household that didn't eat any red meat or pork? Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning lots in the upcoming week. Keep an eye out, tomorrow I will be sharing a easy recipe for bolognese sauce that I tried out today!

xx -c

No comments:

Post a Comment