Monday, October 21, 2013

DIY Glitter Leaf Garland

Happy Monday!


It's no secret that I really love glitter and fall and this project combines both. I have been looking for some way to decorate my mantle. As you can see in the following photos it is pretty big and white. During the summer I often had flowers on top of it, but since fall came around I haven't figured out how to break up the whiteness and add some color. Don't get me wrong, it's a great feature but by itself it is pretty boring (especially since there isn't actually a fire place associated with it!) To solve that problem I got a number of white candles and different holders. If I light all of the candles at once its ALMOST like a real fire, not quite but almost! Here is a pretty easy DIY that allowed me to add a pop of fall color to it!

To complete this project you will need:
          -colored leaves (you want bigger ones, the number depends on how long you want your garland to be)
          -glitter (I chose mine to match the leaves, although you could do a completely different color)
          -spray adhesive
          -string to thread the leaves on

Start by collecting your leaves, you want leaves with longer stems so you will be able to tie a knot in them to hang them. Lay them out on a surface that can get pretty sticky and glittery (I used paper bags). Spray each leaf with the adhesive and then apply glitter. Let them dry for a few hours.


To hang: I tied a loose knot in each leaf stem and threaded the string through the hole in the knot and then tightened the knot. This allows you to adjust the spacing between the leaves once they are hanging. If the stems are really long then you can trim them after you tie the knots in them. I hung the garland simply by using some washi tape that matched the paint on the mantle, although you could hang it any way you want.


Happy crafting!

xx C

No comments:

Post a Comment