Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese

Happy Tuesday!

The weather the past few days has been amazing! It is finally starting to feel like fall, meaning the air is crisp, the sun is shining, and the leaves are starting to change. While there aren't as many leaves as in New Hampshire (meaning no jumping into leaf piles) there are enough to make it seem fall-like. Other than apple cider, squash is one of my fall favorites. I love all kinds and I am looking forward to sharing lots of good fall squash recipes. This first one combines mac & cheese and squash (two of the best things ever!)


Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese (serves 6-8)
4 cups uncooked butternut squash, medium dice (1/2 inch squares)
3 1/4 cups milk
1 1/2 cups chicken broth (or veggie broth)
Pinch nutmeg
Pinch salt
Pinch black pepper
Pinch chili powder or cayenne
2-3 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar (I prefer a cheesier mac)
6 Tbs. Parmesan
1 1/2 # pasta
1 1/2 cups Kale (I used pre-cooked, frozen and it worked well. I defrosted it in the microwave and then squeezed the excess water out)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
Olive oil

Preheat oven to 375˚F

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the macaroni until it is al dente (it will finish cooking in the oven).

Combine squash, broth, and milk in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and simmer approximately 20 minutes (until the squash is tender). Mash the squash (I used my hand blender which made a really smooth, creamy sauce). Add the nutmeg, salt, chili powder, and pepper to taste. Whisk in the cheddar and half of the parmesan cheese. Add the sauce to the pasta and combine, stir in the kale. Place this mixture into a slightly greased 9x13 inch pan.

Combine the rest of the parmesan, bread crumbs, and enough oil to lightly coat the crumbs in a bowl. Stir and then sprinkle over the pasta.

Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 30-45 minutes or until the top is GB&D (or golden brown and delicious!)

I love this meal, it's hearty and warm and filling! I normally eat it with salad and [maybe] a protein but last night I just had a big bowl of this and it was satisfied! Recently I have been fully embracing fall; buying pumpkin-spice everything, raking the yard, burning apple scented candles, going to apple festivals (I'm thinking about going back this weekend and I'll remember to bring my camera this time), and I'm starting to decorate my house!


xox- Caroline and Willow


No comments:

Post a Comment