Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Ricotta Cookies

Happy New Year! (Sorry I am kind of late on that one)

I hope everyone had a great holiday, I have been super busy with visiting relatives, going to New York for New Years (No, I did not go to Times Square), school starting back up, and going to visit Matt in California this past weekend. Boy, am I tired! The good news is that I am back and have a number of posts lined up for the next few weeks!

I made these cookies for a cookie swap that I participated in with a few of my friends from school. They are super easy to make and this is a recipe that allows you to use up that pesky leftover ricotta cheese that I always seem to have in my fridge. Everyone loved them at the cookie party and I can't wait to find another reason to make them again soon!

Ricotta Cookies (makes about 36)
1.5 cups flour (It calls for cake flour, but I used all-purpose and it was fine)
.5 cups AP flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
4 oz. (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
7.5 oz ricotta cheese





















Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a small bowl and set it aside. In a larger bowl (or in the bowl of a stand mixer) cream the butter and sugar. Once combined and fluffy add the egg. In another smaller bowl combine the vanilla and ricotta. Now it's time to mix all of the different components together, to do this alternate adding the dry ingredients and the ricotta mixture to the butter, sugar, and egg mixture. It should result in a pretty thick batter.





















Drop the batter by teaspoonfuls onto the baking pans.





















Bake for about 8 minutes or until the bottoms are golden (don't worry, the tops won't color at all so check the bottoms). Once done, remove and place on cooling racks until completely cool, then you can glaze them (although they are pretty good all by themselves).





















I glazed them with this recipe:

Glaze
1/4 cups half and half
almond extract
Icing sugar

Add the half and half to the bowl of a stand mixer, start adding icing sugar until a thick glaze/thin frosting forms. Now add about 2 tsp almond extract (I really like almonds so I made mine pretty strong, but you don't have to add as much). This liquid might thin out the glaze too much so you might need to add a bit more icing sugar.

To glaze the cookies - dip the top of each cookie into the glaze and let harden on the cooling racks. I sprinkled some edible glitter on mine but you could top them with you favorite cookie decoration or even a sliced almond.





















This recipe is from the book "One Sweet Cookie" by Tracey Zabar.

Happy Baking!
xx C

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment