Sunday, November 24, 2013

Sunday [Sorta] Muffins: Cinnamon Rolls

Good Morning [or afternoon]!

To start I have a few disclaimers for this recipe:
1: I know there is a GROSS amount of butter in this recipe [I even tried to cut it down but Matt was worried that they wouldn't be as "tasty" as before]
2: This recipe takes forever [like we ended up having these for lunch because it took so long, but it's worth it]

Now after reading the above why would I ever want to make these? Well, because Matt loves them - like he will eat about six of them in one sitting and he also talks about them all the time. It all started one weekend about two years ago when I woke up super early one morning and decided to try to make cinnamon rolls. I found this recipe online and went with it. I didn't realize until mid-mixing them that the amount of butter and sugar was impressive [or slightly gross] but since I already was in the middle of making them I just went with it. Well, the results were delicious and my entire house [at the time] enjoyed them. Now, back the the present, Matt asks "When are you going to make those cinnamon rolls again" about every week and a half. I usually am pretty good at thinking of reasons why I don't have the time to make them but every once in a while I give in. I think I have made them two or three times at this point, every time I try to decrease some of the ingredients [i.e. the butter, and sugar] but Matt always convinces me to follow the recipe exactly [minus the raisins and nuts]. I have to admit that it is always rewarding making these because 1: they really are delicious and 2: Matt loves them so much.
 These would be a good think to make for a special occasion or a holiday when you have visitors. Maybe christmas or easter? I think you could also make the dough the night before and cover it in plastic wrap and leave it in the fridge over night, I was going to try that out this time but I didn't get around to making the dough last night.






















Cinnamon Rolls (makes between 12-16)
For the dough:
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (or one of those packages)
1/2 cup scalded milk
1/2 cup warm water (no warmer than 90˚F)
Pinch sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1 egg
Pinch salt
3-4 cups AP flour

Filling:
3/4 cup white sugar
2.5 Tbs. cinnamon
1/2 cup melted butter

Icing:
4 tbs. butter
2 cups. icing sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3-6 Tbs. hot water











To make the dough: Add the yeast and pinch of sugar to the warm water [above on the left]. This is called proofing and it shows that the yeast are still alive. After about 5 minutes you should see that the yeast becomes bubbly and that shows that it is alive [above on the right].





















In a mixing bowl (for this stage I use my kitchen aid with the mixing attachment) mix the egg, salt, melted butter, and scalded milk. Let the milk and butter cool slightly before adding to the egg, you don't want to cook the egg! Once the mixture is combined add 2 cups of the flour and combine. Now add your yeast-water mixture. Mix and add the remaining flour so it forms a workable dough. You probably wont need to add the whole 4 cups, I think I used 3 2/3 cups or something near that. At this point I put the bread hook attachment (or you can knead by hand) and kneaded the dough for about 7 minutes. Then place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a clean dish cloth, and place somewhere warm.




















To fill it: After about 1 hour to 1.5 hours the dough will have doubled in size. Place it on the counter and roll it out until it is about 15 inches x 9 inches (I rolled it out on a cookie sheet because my table has an oiled wooden top and I didn't want the
oil to get into the dough). Combine the cinnamon and the sugar together and mix.





















Now spread some of the melted butter on the dough (leaving about 1 inch across the top so it will be able to close) and then sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar on top.





















You can either not use all of the butter or you can pour the rest over the top of the cinnamon sugar.





















Carefully, starting at the bottom, roll up the dough. Use a little water to make the end stick to the outside of the dough so the cinnamon rolls will stay together.





















Now slice the dough into 1 inch slices and place in a greased 13x9 inch pyrex pan. Let the rolls double in size again (~45 minutes) and then bake until golden (~30 minutes) in a 350˚F oven.





















Icing: Whip the butter and sugar together and add the vanilla.





















Slowly start adding the water until a smooth consistency forms (you won't need it all). If the icing is too runny you can always stir in more sugar.






















Spread the icing over the top of the warm cinnamon rolls. Now it's time to eat them! Enjoy!

xx -C

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment