Tuesday, November 26, 2013

DIY: Homemade Soy and Beeswax Candles

Good Morning!


Here is a super simple DIY that I did over the weekend, for the past few years I have told myself that I was going to make most of the christmas presents for my family and friends...well I always put it off and am lucky if I find the time to make a batch of cookies for one of my uncles. This year I decided that I was actually going to make christmas presents and start early so I wasn't rushing at the last minute to finish them. Well this past weekend I realized that there was only a month until christmas and I hadn't started to make any of my presents. Whoops. I find that it is easier to make or give lots of little presents instead of just one big presents. Here is the first christmas present project that I did:







To make these candles you will need: 
Jars
Candle wicks (they come pre-cut or in a long length that you can trim down your self)
Sauce pot (to melt the wax in)
Old cup or some other vehicle to pour the wax into the jars
Essential oils (I used pine and lavender)
Wax (I found a homegoods place that sold both beeswax and soy wax for a very reasonable price, you can also find it at most craft stores but it can be a bit pricy)

To make:








Set the wicks up in the jars (I fashioned a tape "x" and poked a hole in the middle and that seemed to work pretty well.








To get the wick through the tape I dipped the end of the wick in the wax and then let it harden - this prevented the wick from fraying.







Melt the wax. Once it is melted add the essential oils (you can decided how much to add)








Pour the wax into the jars. Let sit for a few hours or until the wax is completely cooled.








*For the lavender candles I added a few lavender buds to the melted wax as a decoration.

xx-C

No comments:

Post a Comment